April 29, 2013

You Give Me Dates, I'll Give You Salvation - Week 36

Dear World,

France is raining again, and can't seem to make up its mind on whether or not to stay hot or stay cold.

Aside from the weather, it's been a successful couple of days. I just keep meeting more and more classy people. This week, it was a sweet guy we met through the English class. He came to church with us this Sunday, then invited us over to his house later the same day to give him a lesson. We got to his house, and he invited us into his private study covered with bookshelves filled with custom-bound books on world religions and history. As we perused his collection of private artwork, he offered us fresh orange juice and a plate of cookies before we discussed the Book of Mormon. It was a nice afternoon.

Continuing with the food (is that ALL I talk about?), we went to a member's house for brunch on Saturday. They live in an apartment building, so we parked in the nearby parking lot and got out of the car. As soon as I opened the door of the car, I stopped and thought to myself, "Is that ... do I smell...bacon?!" Just as background information, I haven't seen anything that even resembles bacon while living in France for the last 6 months. We followed the smell through the apartment building and up the stairs, and sure enough, it led us straight to their door. For brunch, we had a total and complete AMERICAN breakfast ... for the first time since the MTC. It was nice.

To work off the calories from the bacon, we helped a non-member family in Nancy move to a new apartment across the city. It was a challenge getting couches, bookcases and the kitchen table through the maze of spiral staircases, silly little elevators, and through the rain, but we did it.

In other news, we've been let in homes while tracting a handful of times this last week. Most missionaries get let in once or twice a transfer, but apparently some blessings have been coming down with the ice cold rain. One family decided to do an exchange: our Book of Mormon traded for a book of French poetry. I thought it was a good trade. I'll have to figure out a way to use that little book to ask some girls on dates. Ahem, when I get home, of course. I'll just have to work on my French cooking until then. 

Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope you have a fantastic week. Congratulations to everyone at BYU who survived finals and are now at home.

à lundi!

Elder Wilson